The Exploratory, in partnership with the Pearson Foundation, Project MASH and NLI Presents a Free Workshop for Educators.
In May 2013 the White House announced that the US must invest resources encouraging students to enter Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) fields in order to ensure a sustainable future. Making became a national conversation as educators, parents, and other youth-serving adults recognized the power of making to develop deep, meaningful STEM engagements. With the White House hosting a mini maker faire this summer, schools all over the country are converting science, technology, and art rooms into environments that integrate these different disciplines and provide students innovative learning opportunities. The Exploratory’s Tinker. Make. Innovate. approach incorporates discovery and encourages curiosity in the tinkering phase, skill-building in the making phase, and design thinking practice in the innovation phase. These teacher workshops will give participants hands-on experiences and provide a platform for integration into classroom lesson plans. Agenda will include:
- Engaging in activities designed and developed by the Exploratory, including experimenting with circuits.
- Understanding and exploring the Tinker.Make.Innovate process
- Developing a Tinker.Make.Innovate project
- Sharing project examples
- Discussion topics include:
- What Making & Tinkering are you doing in your classroom? How would you like to integrate this approach?
- What is the relationship between Making & Tinkering and the Common Core?
- What role does technology play? How is this role distinct from the simple notion of “technology integration”?
Project MASH is a social learning platform that connects teachers and students with innovative learning organizations, engagement strategies and, experiences. Learn more and join today at ProjectMASH.org.
The workshop, including lunch, is free for registered workshop participants. *The August workshop is now full. Please register today to secure your spot in the September workshop. Spaces are filling quickly.
Register Here - http://www.eventbrite.com/e/tinker-make-innovate-a-professional-development-workshop-for-educators-registration-11713131291?aff=eac2